Menu Icon

Looking for homebrewing gift ideas? Check out our previous gift guides here or here!
Also, if you enjoy BrewUnited, please consider doing your Amazon shopping via our affiliate link!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Brewing Forum --> Recipe Discussion --> Maltodextrine Brewing Experiment

Jump to:    1   
Sacramento, CA
3 Posts

I just recently moved, so I had to downgrade my homebrew setup where I could only do 1 gallon BIAB batches for the time being. (There might be more potential to expand it up to 5 gallons later, but that's a different story.)

With the new recipe I wrote for some "quick and dirty" brown ale, I decided to see how adding in maltodextrin affects the flavor of the finished product.

First the base recipe for a 1 gallon batch:

2 lbs Two Row
0.25 lbs Brown Malt

0.1 oz Challenger (60 minutes)

Safale S-04

I brewed 2 different batches. One of them followed the recipe listed above. The other I added in 1 oz of maltodextrin into the boil. After fermenting both and letting them bottle condition, I did a side-by-side taste test to see how the maltodextrin affected the mouthfeel and overall flavor.

The verdict was that the maltodextrin seemed to make the brew smoother, but it took away some of the character from the brown malt in the process. I think that 1 oz of maltodextrin might be too much for a beer this light, but it did help with the drinkability.

More information on this experiment can be found here

Posted 34 days ago.

Charter Member
Birmingham, AL
2480 Posts

Interesting stuff.  Maltodextrin is something I have never tried.

Posted 34 days ago.

Jump to:    1